Becca Midwood

http://beccamidwood.com/
contact: becca2323@sbcglobal.net


FP: There are so few female wild post/graffiti/street artists in > LA...at least none that I know of; you are the only one I could name...why do you think that is?

becca: I'm guessing it's because I was the only girl out there?

FP: Guerrilla artist Robbie Conal is a close friend of mine...have the two of you ever met? You should collaborate...

becca: I've never had an opportunity to meet Mr. Conal in person or anything like that, but we have collaborated on the street. I certainly would love the chance to work with him in a more formal manner.

FP: Generally how long does it take you to complete a piece, and then consequently how long will last at any given public space? Do you spend much time sketching and preparing before a work goes up, and then what is your process? Do you have to work at night? Have you ever been challenged while midway through a piece?

becca: I can put together a piece in one to two days, anything longer that, that get on my nerves. My process involves paper, paint, wood and glue. My biggest thrill is when I can't stand a painting I'm working on then last minute I get it figured out. II work when I work. I try to work on something (framing, painting, research, etc..) everyday.

FP: Have you ever documented the process via video? I think that would be cool to see... Do you keep photographic records of everything you've done?

becca: No, no video. I did appear on the " nihilist corner" several years back. I'm really camera shy.

FP: How long did it take for legitimate galleries/collectors to notice the street work and start giving you credit?

becca: Quite a while. I started when I was 19 in Richmond, VA and Washington DC. Then went on to get my Masters at SFAI (they failed me, of course).
I did finally get my diploma from them.

FP: And are you still doing the street installation or have you now shifted away from that?

becca: I'm not too interested in the streets anymore. I used the streets for practice and self-promotion. Each piece I put up was a one-of-a-kind painting. No Xeroxes or posse, just me and my painting. I certainly don't see myself crawling and scrawing, as I put it. I did the streets for 20 years, now I take care of my mum (full time) and paint for shows or commissions.

FP: It's often the female form that makes your work so angelic and magical; there is a vulnerability that mixes with the roughness of the street surroundings...how did you first gravitate to painting girls? Content-wise a lot of it has a verbal edge that takes the piece to a different place; can you talk about that? How do your ideas come to you? Are they inspired by current events or feminist ideas?

becca: I like painting girls, ladies and women. When I do paint a guy he looks like a lady, so... ?

FP: Who are your influences?

becca: Vuillard, Basquiat, Colette Miller and me mum.

FP: Where are you currently living and what are you now working on?

becca: I live in Austin. I'm preparing for a big solo show in San Francisco at the White Walls Gallery. Opening night is Saturday July 11th.

FP: Thanks Becca!